12.03.2008

My Fair Ladies!

I had the privilege of serving at our church's Ladies Christmas event (Christmas at Tiffany's) Wednesday evening. Such a wonderful setting at the Pavilion downtown. It was nicely decorated and the ambience was perfect - the ladies were wonderfully dressed in wonderful dresses - it was quite the affair. As servers, we men had the opportunity to offer the ladies refreshments and keep food on the buffet tables. The women of our local church, their friends and family members had a great time socializing, sharing, and laughing. Gifts were won, with ooh's and aah's being heard in reaction to the grander gifts - especially the Tiffany braclet (fine job Debbie)!!

But, the highlight of it all was seeing My Fair Ladies - my wife and my two daughters, all gussied up in gorgeous gowns. I didn't get a chance to say much to them, but they were loverliest to glance at when I peeked on occasion - fine looking women by God's creation. Women who each live a life that is challenging, not only to others, but to themselves. They continue to stretch for higher goals and attain greater achievements. In times such as this, they are models of character and I am blessed to be associated with them.

I have to admit, that originally I wasn't crazy about serving on this occasion - I even groused about it ahead of time. I would have much rather stayed at home than give a little bit of myself. Once there, I realized that it wasn't so bad. Being with a few of my friends while serving (thanks Mikey, Gene, and Mark) helped me get over my selfishness. I'm so glad I went and served now. I was rather like an Eliza Doolittle - especially as I was snubbed in one part of the evening. "Fine!", I thought, "If that's the way you want to treat me, I don't have to be here you know!"

Later, I was reminded of Jesus and the way He was snubbed - before, during and after He gave His life on the Cross - ultimately, to be the sacrifice for my sin. He didn't have to be here either, but He was and is. I'm sorry Ladies for my attitude - before, during, and after - it was wrong and selfish. Jesus looked forward in time and space and saw me and came to die for me. I've realized - looking back at the evening - that had I not been there giving just a little bit of me and my life, I wouldn't have seen My Fair Ladies. Thank you Jesus ... Thank you Ladies. You are the loverliest of all and you've helped me grow just a little bit more into the refined individual that I'm supposed to be!!

3 comments:

kate said...

Well put, Dad! I am glad you were there!!

Warren Watson said...

Rod,
You have quite the gems living among you. Your eyes are open to see their beauty, to see the jewels God has put with you. What a blessing.

Elizabeth Joy said...

You do have some pretty fantastic women in your family :-)